Bigscreen Begins Shipping Beyond VR Headsets
Bigscreen, the company behind the popular Bigscreen Beta VR app, has announced that it has started shipping its latest product, the Bigscreen Beyond VR headset. The tethered PC headset, which uses Valve’s SteamVR tracking standard, is now available for customers in the United States, with international shipments expected to begin in mid to late Q4.
Priced at $1,000, the Bigscreen Beyond headset offers a slim and lightweight design, thanks to the use of pancake lenses and micro-OLEDs. The headset has a resolution of 2,560 × 2,560 per eye, with a refresh rate of 75Hz or 90Hz. It features tri-element pancake lenses and a claimed field of view of 93°H × 90°V. The headset also includes adjustments for IPD (fixed, customized per customer) and eye-relief (fixed, customized per facepad).
According to Bigscreen, the demand for the Beyond headset has been stronger than expected, and the company has been ramping up production to meet the demand. To ensure smooth production, Bigscreen is hiring more engineering and production staff for its LA-based factory and working with overseas manufacturing partners in China.
Bigscreen is also expanding its international presence, with plans to expand preorders to several countries, including Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia. The company also has plans to sell in South Korea, Israel, and more in the near future.
The Bigscreen Beyond VR headset comes with SteamVR tracking controllers and optional audio strap accessory, with USB-C audio output. However, it does not have on-board cameras or on-board audio. The headset weighs between 170-185g.
The release of the Bigscreen Beyond VR headset marks an exciting development for PC VR enthusiasts. With its thin and light design and high-resolution micro-OLED displays, the headset offers a compelling option for users already invested in the SteamVR hardware ecosystem. As Bigscreen continues to expand its international reach and meet the growing demand, it will be interesting to see how the Beyond headset performs in the competitive VR market.
Bigscreen Beyond Specs
- Resolution: 2,560 × 2,560 (6.5MP) per-eye microOLED (2x, RGB stripe)
- Pixels Per-degree (claimed): 28
- Refresh Rate: 75Hz, 90Hz
- Lenses: Tri-element pancake
- Field-of-view (claimed): 93°H × 90°V
- Optical Adjustments: IPD (fixed, customized per customer), eye-relief (fixed, customized per facepad)
- IPD Adjustment Range: 58–72mm (fixed, single IPD value per device)
- Connectors: DisplayPort 1.4, USB 3.0 (2x)
- Accessory Ports: USB-C (1x)
- Cable Length: 5m
- Tracking: SteamVR Tracking 1.0 or 2.0 (external beacons)
- On-board Cameras: None
- Input: SteamVR Tracking controllers
- On-board Audio: None
- Optional Audio: Audio Strap accessory, USB-C audio output
- Microphone: Yes (2x)
- Pass-through view: No
- Weight: 170–185g
- MSRP: $1,000
- MSRP (with tracking & controllers): $1,580